Russell deciding rest of season's plans for Duke
» Manager John Russell said Wednesday he expected to know what the Pirates will do with Zach Duke over the remainder of the season either later in the day or today. Russell declined to discuss options or whether the decision would be based more on Duke or who might replace him in the starting rotation. "I really don't have anything to say on it because (general manager) Neal (Huntington) and I have spent a little time on it, but (pitching coach Ray Searage) has been out on the field," Russell said. "We'll talk more about it. We have a couple days."
» Brad Lincoln, who was limited in the final weeks with Triple-A Indianapolis after experiencing neck and shoulder stiffness in early August, threw an extended side session yesterday. Russell said they hope to get him in a game during the Pirates' home series against Arizona this weekend.
» Chris Leroux made his Pirates debut Tuesday night in the seventh inning of the 9-1 loss to the Mets, and he definitely scored points for efficiency. Leroux had a 1-2-3 inning and only needed four pitches to get Nick Evans to ground out, Henry Blanco to pop out and Ruben Tejada to line out.
» Garrett Jones had back-to-back multi-hit games in the first two games of the Mets series for the first time since July 21-22. He had hits in six of seven games going into last night. "I'm just trying to be as consistent as I can and keep doing that until I don't have to think about it anymore," said Jones, who saw his batting average drop to .144 in August, of readjusting his swing.
» The Pirates released their instructional league roster and schedule. Players report Sunday with the first workout Sept. 20 . The first game is Sept. 27. The last game of the season is Oct. 22. Top two pitching prospects — Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie — are among those who will participate.Additional Information:
Pirates game day
7:10 p.m., Citi Field
TV/radio: FSN/WPGB-FM (104.7), Pirates Radio Network, XM Channel 187.
Pitchers: Charlie Morton (1-11, 9.05 ERA) for Pittsburgh. RHP Mike Pelfrey (14-9, 3.89 ERA) for New York.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown