Milledge may still play this season
» Outfielder Lastings Milledge (strained oblique) has been taking swings in the batting cage, and still might get in a game this season. "The next step is to get him out there for batting practice," manager John Russell said. "If we can get it to that point, there could be a possibility he could play before the season's over."
» Right-hander Jeff Karstens (shoulder) said his bullpen session Monday went well. "It was amazing," Karstens said with a smile. He expects to be available out of the bullpen either Wednesday or Thursday.
» There is a small chance righty Ross Ohlendorf (upper back) will pitch in Instructional League as part of his offseason throwing routine. "We've got to see how he progresses," Russell said. "He will need some down time before he gets back to work."
» Reliever Chris Resop (elbow) threw an extended side session Sunday and was pain-free. He's expected to be available Tuesday.
» According to Elias Sports Bureau, Jose Tabata (.302) and Neil Walker (.301) could become the first set of Pirates rookies to each hit .300 or better in a season since Jimmy Williams (.355) and Ginger Beaumont (.352) in 1899.
» Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols nearly has a triple crown of sorts against the Pirates. He's the top active player against them in career RBI (133) and home runs (45) and ranks second in batting average (.373, six points behind Geovany Soto).Additional Information:
8:15 p.m. today,
Busch Stadium, St. Louis
TV/radio: FSN/WPGB-FM (104.7), WCNS-AM (1480), WJPA-AM (1450), Pirates Radio Network and XM Channel 187
Pitchers: LHP Brian Burres (3-4, 5.29) will start for the Pirates. RHP Jeff Suppan (2-7, 5.40) will start for St. Louis.
Notable: Both of Suppan's victories this season have come against the Pirates.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Fans of Pirates embrace PNC Park home opener, hope for great season
- Pirates notebook: Batters creating a breeze with high strikeout rate
- Rossi: The only Alvarez we know is a slugger