Pirates interview former Indians manager Wedge
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Pirates kicked off the search for their next manager on Tuesday by interviewing former Cleveland Indians skipper Eric Wedge.
General manager Neal Huntington, who had been in Bradenton, Fla., for organizational meetings, flew to Pittsburgh late Monday night to conduct Wedge's interview at PNC Park. Huntington will remain in town the rest of this week to interview at least one more candidate.
Phil Garner, who played for the Pirates from 1977-81, also is believed to be interested in the job. Garner, 61, has managed the MIlwaukee Brewers (1992-99), Detroit Tigers (2000-02) and Houston Astros (2004-07). He guided the Astros to the National League pennant in 2005.
According to a team spokesman, the Pirates will announce who has been interviewed after each session is complete but will not make any futher comment.
Wedge's interview was held one day after John Russell was fired.
Wedge, 42, was twice named manager of the year in the minors. He managed the Indians from 2003-09 and compiled a 561-573 record. Wedge was named American League manager of the year in 2007, when the Indians went 96-66 and advanced to the ALCS, where they lost in seven games against the Boston Red Sox.
Cleveland began turning over its roster — trading away veterans for prospects, as the Pirates have done — and Wedge was fired following the '09 season.
The Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays, who also are searching for new managers, have interviewed Wedge in recent weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park