Pirates interview former Indians manager Wedge
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Pirates kicked off the search for their next manager on Tuesday by interviewing former Cleveland Indians skipper Eric Wedge.
General manager Neal Huntington, who had been in Bradenton, Fla., for organizational meetings, flew to Pittsburgh late Monday night to conduct Wedge's interview at PNC Park. Huntington will remain in town the rest of this week to interview at least one more candidate.
Phil Garner, who played for the Pirates from 1977-81, also is believed to be interested in the job. Garner, 61, has managed the MIlwaukee Brewers (1992-99), Detroit Tigers (2000-02) and Houston Astros (2004-07). He guided the Astros to the National League pennant in 2005.
According to a team spokesman, the Pirates will announce who has been interviewed after each session is complete but will not make any futher comment.
Wedge's interview was held one day after John Russell was fired.
Wedge, 42, was twice named manager of the year in the minors. He managed the Indians from 2003-09 and compiled a 561-573 record. Wedge was named American League manager of the year in 2007, when the Indians went 96-66 and advanced to the ALCS, where they lost in seven games against the Boston Red Sox.
Cleveland began turning over its roster — trading away veterans for prospects, as the Pirates have done — and Wedge was fired following the '09 season.
The Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays, who also are searching for new managers, have interviewed Wedge in recent weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Decker leaves game with calf injury
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Braves 2
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3