Pirates interview former Blue Jays manager Tosca
Carlos Tosca never played professional baseball. In fact, he once was cut from the team at the University of South Florida.
That has not stopped Tosca from finding success as a coach and manager with several major league clubs, including a stint as the Toronto Blue Jays' skipper. And Thursday, the Pirates interviewed Tosca for their managerial opening.
In 1978, Tosca quit his job as a middle-school teacher to coach in the New York Yankees' farm system. He had a winning record in 12 of his 17 seasons as a minor league manager.
Tosca had two stints (1998-2000 and 2005-06) as bench coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He was the Blue Jays' third-base coach in 2002 and was elevated to manager when Buck Martinez was fired.
Tosca is one of seven managers in major league history who never played professionally. Also in that group is former Penn State football coach Hugo Bezdek, who managed the Pirates from 1917-19.
Over parts of three seasons, Tosca guided the Blue Jays to a 191-191 record. He was fired Aug. 9, 2004, about an hour after the Blue Jays lost their fifth straight game and fell 17 games under .500.
Tosca became the Florida Marlins' bench coach in 2007. This past June, the Marlins fired Tosca, manager Fredi Gonzalez and hitting coach Jim Presley.
Tosca is the seventh candidate to interview with the Pirates. Jeff Banister, Bo Porter, Eric Wedge, Ken Macha, John Gibbons and Dale Sveum also have discussed the job with general manager Neal Huntington.
Gibbons also has interviewed for the jobs in Toronto and Seattle. Wedge is a candidate with Seattle, Toronto and the Chicago Cubs.Additional Information:
Do as I say ...
Major league managers who never played pro ball:
Ed Barrow, Detroit (1903-04), Boston Red Sox (1918-20) 310-320
Hugo Bezdek, Pirates (1917-1919) : 166-187
Judge Fuchs, Boston Braves (1929) : 56-98
Ted Turner, Atlanta (1977) : 0-1
John Boles, Florida (1996, 1999-2001) : 205-241
Carlos Tosca, Toronto (2002-04) : 191-191
Dave Trembley, Baltimore (2007-10) : 187-283
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates fall short in bid for Lester, who’s traded to Oakland
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Pirates notebook: Similarity found in Alvarez throwing errors
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester