Gibbons removes name from Pirates' manager hunt
John Gibbons has pulled out of the running to become the Pirates' next manager.
Thursday, a Pirates source confirmed Gibbons withdrew from further consideration. Gibbons will return as the Kansas City Royals' bench coach in 2011.
Gibbons did not return a phone call last night from the Tribune-Review.
Gibbons, 48, interviewed with the Pirates on Oct. 11, a week after John Russell was fired. Earlier this week, Gibbons told the Tribune-Review he "was kind of hoping I'd get considered" for the job.
Although he managed in Toronto from 2004-08, this was the first time Gibbons had interviewed for a skipper's job. He was the Blue Jays' bench coach and was promoted after manager Carlos Tosca was fired.
After going 305-305, Gibbons was fired midway through the 2008 season.
"Once you've had the opportunity to do that (manager) job, there's no question you always want to keep doing it," Gibbons said earlier this week. "So, we'll see, with the Pirates. These jobs are hard to come by. If it doesn't happen, I can still look back and say I had one opportunity to manage in the big leagues. That's pretty good."
Gibbons is the second candidate to drop off the Pirates' list. Eric Wedge, who was the first person they interviewed, on Monday was hired by the Seattle Mariners.
Dale Sveum, Ken Macha, Bo Porter, Jeff Banister and Tosca remain under consideration. Wednesday, Huntington told the Tribune-Review the Pirates are mulling other possible candidates.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Behind Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Starting Nine: Should Pirates add impact arm?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, April 21, 2015