Gibbons removes name from Pirates' manager hunt
John Gibbons has pulled out of the running to become the Pirates' next manager.
Thursday, a Pirates source confirmed Gibbons withdrew from further consideration. Gibbons will return as the Kansas City Royals' bench coach in 2011.
Gibbons did not return a phone call last night from the Tribune-Review.
Gibbons, 48, interviewed with the Pirates on Oct. 11, a week after John Russell was fired. Earlier this week, Gibbons told the Tribune-Review he "was kind of hoping I'd get considered" for the job.
Although he managed in Toronto from 2004-08, this was the first time Gibbons had interviewed for a skipper's job. He was the Blue Jays' bench coach and was promoted after manager Carlos Tosca was fired.
After going 305-305, Gibbons was fired midway through the 2008 season.
"Once you've had the opportunity to do that (manager) job, there's no question you always want to keep doing it," Gibbons said earlier this week. "So, we'll see, with the Pirates. These jobs are hard to come by. If it doesn't happen, I can still look back and say I had one opportunity to manage in the big leagues. That's pretty good."
Gibbons is the second candidate to drop off the Pirates' list. Eric Wedge, who was the first person they interviewed, on Monday was hired by the Seattle Mariners.
Dale Sveum, Ken Macha, Bo Porter, Jeff Banister and Tosca remain under consideration. Wednesday, Huntington told the Tribune-Review the Pirates are mulling other possible candidates.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Pirates minor league report: Romero emerges as surprise slugger
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject