Pirates sign minor-league free agents
The Pirates today signed three minor league free agents – infielder Andy Marte, right-hander Fernando Nieve and catcher Dusty Brown – and invited them to spring training.
Marte, 27, hit .229 in 80 games last season for the Cleveland Indians. He played in the Futures Game in 2003 and two years later was rated the top prospect in the Atlanta Braves' farm system. However, he has failed to produce at the major league level and was twice traded and twice dropped from the Indians' 40-man roster.
Nieve, 28, went 2-4 with a 6.00 ERA in 40 outings (one start) this past season for the New York Mets.
Brown, 28, went 3 for 12 with two RBI over two stints with the Boston Red Sox in 2010.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Rossi: Pirates don’t need Alvarez at first base
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates acquire catcher Cervelli from Yankees
- Scouts: Acquiring Cervelli from Yankees cost Pirates promising reliever
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft