Pirates sign minor-league free agents
The Pirates today signed three minor league free agents – infielder Andy Marte, right-hander Fernando Nieve and catcher Dusty Brown – and invited them to spring training.
Marte, 27, hit .229 in 80 games last season for the Cleveland Indians. He played in the Futures Game in 2003 and two years later was rated the top prospect in the Atlanta Braves' farm system. However, he has failed to produce at the major league level and was twice traded and twice dropped from the Indians' 40-man roster.
Nieve, 28, went 2-4 with a 6.00 ERA in 40 outings (one start) this past season for the New York Mets.
Brown, 28, went 3 for 12 with two RBI over two stints with the Boston Red Sox in 2010.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015