Pirate pitchers Hart, Yates test arms after surgeries
BRADENTON, Fla. — Right-handers Kevin Hart (shoulder) and Tyler Yates (elbow), who both are rehabbing from surgeries, threw bullpen sessions Tuesday on day two of Pirates minicamp. Pitching coach Ray Searage looked on as they each threw 25 pitches, all fastballs.
"I like what I saw," Searage said. "Of course, their timing's going to be off a little bit because they haven't been on the slope for a while. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic. What they did today gives us a good foundation. We'll build on that. We're on the right track."
It was the first time Hart had thrown off a mound since May, when he had surgery to repair a torn labrum.
"It was pretty good," Hart said. "I felt calm and relaxed and everything. It felt good to get on the mound."
Yates had Tommy John surgery in July 2009, but had setbacks in May 2010 and again in October 2010. Yesterday's workout was the second time he had thrown off the mound since October.
"Hopefully, I'll be game-ready by the first day of spring training," Yates said. "If I'm a week behind, that won't be too bad, either."
Both pitchers will throw another 25-pitch session on Friday. Both also hope to be able to compete for big league jobs in spring training.
• Outfielder Jose Tabata played against Jorge Julio this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League. "He looked good," Tabata said. "He's still a good pitcher." Julio, 31, a right-handed reliever, has a 1.88 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 28 2⁄3 innings for Tiburones de la Guaira. The Pirates signed Julio, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2009, to a minor league deal without an invite to big league spring training -- an indication that he must prove himself in Triple-A before management considers giving him a shot in Pittsburgh.
• Pitchers and catchers will hold their first spring training workout Feb. 14 at Pirate City. The first full-squad session will be Feb. 19.
• This year will be the first time infielder Josh Rodriguez, whom the Pirates claimed last month in the Rule 5 draft, has been invited to major league spring training camp. "It's a good opportunity for me," said Rodriguez, 26. When reliever Evan Meek heard that, he went over and shook Rodriguez's hand. "You're a Rule 5 guy, too?" asked Meek, who joined the Pirates in 2008. Meek offered to sit down sometime with Rodriguez and chat about what to expect.
Pirates Minicamp 1⁄11/11
Day 2 of the Pittsburgh Pirates minicamp Tuesday January 11, 2011 at Pirate City in Bradenton, Florida.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals