Pirates president Coonelly evaluating GM Huntington's status
BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates president Frank Coonelly is evaluating the status of general manager Neal Huntington, but so far has not offered him a contract extension.
"He is under contract for this season and it's our expectation that Neal will be here for a long time," Coonelly said Saturday morning. "He has hot been extended at this point. We'll continue to evaluate it as we move forward."
Huntington was hired in September 2007, shortly after Coonelly joined the front office. Huntington was given a one-year extension in October 2009, but Coonelly did not make that public until eight months later.
During Huntington's tenure, the Pirates have gone 67-95 (in 2008), 62-99 (in 2009) and 57-105 (last season
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- McCutchen says he’s not 100 percent, but ‘good enough’ to play
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season