Pirates president Coonelly evaluating GM Huntington's status
BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates president Frank Coonelly is evaluating the status of general manager Neal Huntington, but so far has not offered him a contract extension.
"He is under contract for this season and it's our expectation that Neal will be here for a long time," Coonelly said Saturday morning. "He has hot been extended at this point. We'll continue to evaluate it as we move forward."
Huntington was hired in September 2007, shortly after Coonelly joined the front office. Huntington was given a one-year extension in October 2009, but Coonelly did not make that public until eight months later.
During Huntington's tenure, the Pirates have gone 67-95 (in 2008), 62-99 (in 2009) and 57-105 (last season
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Pirates claim Ishikawa off waivers; Marte injured
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback