Pirates president Coonelly evaluating GM Huntington's status
BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates president Frank Coonelly is evaluating the status of general manager Neal Huntington, but so far has not offered him a contract extension.
"He is under contract for this season and it's our expectation that Neal will be here for a long time," Coonelly said Saturday morning. "He has hot been extended at this point. We'll continue to evaluate it as we move forward."
Huntington was hired in September 2007, shortly after Coonelly joined the front office. Huntington was given a one-year extension in October 2009, but Coonelly did not make that public until eight months later.
During Huntington's tenure, the Pirates have gone 67-95 (in 2008), 62-99 (in 2009) and 57-105 (last season
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Cubs’ 3-run, 9th-inning rally upends Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Fan struck by foul ball released from hospital