Pirates president Coonelly evaluating GM Huntington's status
BRADENTON, Fla. — Pirates president Frank Coonelly is evaluating the status of general manager Neal Huntington, but so far has not offered him a contract extension.
"He is under contract for this season and it's our expectation that Neal will be here for a long time," Coonelly said Saturday morning. "He has hot been extended at this point. We'll continue to evaluate it as we move forward."
Huntington was hired in September 2007, shortly after Coonelly joined the front office. Huntington was given a one-year extension in October 2009, but Coonelly did not make that public until eight months later.
During Huntington's tenure, the Pirates have gone 67-95 (in 2008), 62-99 (in 2009) and 57-105 (last season
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates add six players to roster, including OF Polanco
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’