Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders