Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Saturday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Pirates could punish Cubs’ fly-ball pitchers
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Melancon change good for Pirates
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call