Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves