Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers