Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Comebacker risk forces pitchers to balance safety, comfort