Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch