Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Rays 6
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity