Pirates' McDonald scheduled to throw bullpen session today
• Right-hander James McDonald completed his throwing program without problem and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session today. McDonald missed his last scheduled start due to an undisclosed injury to his left side.
• Left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (elbow inflammation) has completed his throwing program. The team has not disclosed a timetable for his return to game situations.
• Catcher Chris Snyder (back soreness) and right fielder Garrett Jones (shoulder soreness) each took several at-bats Tuesday in minor league games. Snyder also worked three innings behind the plate.
• Right-hander Fernando Nieve was unconditionally released, one day after being reassigned to minor league camp.
• Right-hander Jorge Julio, who signed in January as a minor league free agent, is not in camp. The Pirates rescinded his contract after Julio failed is physical. Julio, 31, has not pitched in the majors since 2009.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates’ McCutchen might be National League’s most cost-effective star
- Pirates drop 2nd straight game against Rockies
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants