Josh Fields traded to Colorado Rockies
» Infielder Josh Fields, who last week was cut from big league camp, was traded to the Colorado Rockies on Monday for either a player to be named later or cash considerations. The Pirates also are trying to deal infielder Andy Marte, who previously was reassigned to minor league camp.
» According to the Pirates, right-hander James McDonald (sore side) threw a bullpen session "without issue." McDonald will throw a simulated game Thursday in Florida and is slated to start April 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
» If McDonald can't make his start against the Cardinals, righty Jeff Karstens will make a spot start. Karstens gave up one unearned run and five hits in 4 2⁄3 innings yesterday in a 4-3 loss against the Minnesota Twins in Fort Myers., Fla.
» The Pirates took 11 minor leaguers with them last night to Philadelphia, where the team will play two exhibition games against the Phillies. Among those making the trip are Starling Marte, Brian Friday and Jordy Mercer.Additional Information:
Pirates at Phillies
Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), XM Channel 183
Pirates starter: RHP Ross Ohlendorf
Phillies starter: RHP Roy Oswalt
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal