Ohlendorf 'making solid progress'
-- Starting pitcher Ross Ohlendorf (upper back) made 50 tosses Sunday from 60 feet on flat ground. General manager Neal Huntington said Ohlendorf is "making solid progress" in his recovery, but he offered no timetable for when Ohlendorf will be able to throw off a mound. The right-hander is eligible to come off the disabled list April 24 and likely will need to make at least one rehab start in the minors.
-- Reliever Tyler Yates (torn flexor tendon) is receiving treatment in Bradenton, Fla., and for now, at least, he's not considering retirement. "To this point, the indication we've gotten is he wants to see this thing through," Huntington said.
-- Reliever Garrett Olson, who on Friday was designated for assignment, doesn't seem to have a long-term future with the Pirates. "If Garrett is able to remain in the major leagues with another (team) via trade or waiver claim, that is probably the best result for him," Huntington said.
-- Righty Kevin Correia is riding a personal three-game winning streak against the Reds and is 6-1 against them overall. As a starter, Correia is 5-0 with a 4.07 ERA (42 innings pitched, 19 earned runs) against Cincinnati.
-- Jameson Taillon, Stetson Allie and Luis Heredia still are in extended spring training, building innings before they report to their respective minor league clubs. Huntington declined to reveal his target dates for sending Taillon and Allie to Low-A West Virginia. Huntington did say that Taillon is the most advanced of the three at this stage.Additional Information:
Pirates game day
7:10 p.m. today
Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), WCNS-AM (1480), WJPA-AM (1450), Pirates Radio Network, XM 186
Probable starters: Pirates RHP Kevin Correia (2-1, 2.70) vs. Reds LHP Travis Wood (1-1, 3.86)
Next: 7:10 p.m Tuesday at Marlins
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, Wednesday, April 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona