Injured Hart works out for Pirates' staff in Miami
• Right-hander Kevin Hart, who's on the 60-day disabled list recovering from surgery to repair a torn labrum, worked out Tuesday with the Pirates at Sun Life Stadium. General manager Neal Huntington wanted the organization's major league staff to evaluate Hart's progress. "Everybody else has looked at him down in Pirate City (in Bradenton, Fla.)," manager Clint Hurdle said. "It's a (short) ride (to Miami), so it made sense." Hart, 28, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2009.
• Right-hander Jeff Karstens will make a second straight spot start Friday against the Nationals. Karstens (1-0, 4.50) replaces Ross Ohlendorf, who's on the DL due to upper back/right shoulder discomfort.
• Pedro Alvarez was back in the lineup last night after taking Monday off to work on his swing. However, Alvarez was in the No. 7 spot for the first time, and streaking Garrett Jones (6 for 10, two HRs over the previous three games) batted fifth. "When guys aren't getting things done, you shuffle them around," Hurdle said. "Right now, Jones has earned five, and Pedro has earned seven."
• Right-hander Jose Ascanio last night began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Indianapolis. Ascanio, who's on the mend from shoulder surgery, hasn't pitched in the majors since Aug. 11, 2009.
• Seven players — Jose Tabata, Matt Diaz, Steve Pearce, Chris Snyder, Neil Walker, Lyle Overbay and Ronny Cedeno — had at least two hits Monday in the Pirates' 9-3 win against Cincinnati. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it's the first time the Pirates have accomplished the feat since May 13, 2004.
• Kevin Correia and Charlie Morton threw complete games three days apart in Cincinnati. The last time the Pirates had more than one complete game in April was in 1992, when Zane Smith got a pair, and Doug Drabek tossed one.Additional Information:
Pirates at Marlins
7:10 p.m. today, Sun Life Stadium, Miami
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), WCNS-AM (1480), WJPA-AM (1450), Pirates Radio Network and XM 187
Probable starters: Pirates RHP Charlie Morton (2-0, 1.64) vs. Marlins RHP Ricky Nolasco (1-0, 4.05)
Next: 7:10 p.m. Thursday at Marlins
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester