Pirates attempt trade of Josh Rodriguez
» General manager Neal Huntington said Sunday that they're trying to trade Rule 5 pick Josh Rodriguez, who was designated for assignment Friday. If that doesn't work, the next step becomes outright waivers. "If he gets claimed or traded, it's a great thing for Josh because it means he stays in the big leagues," Huntington said. "If we get through those two phases and we're not able to find a spot at the major league level for Josh, then the next step becomes going to Cleveland and seeing if there's a fit there. But we have to work through the first two steps first."
» Huntington also said that Scott Olson (left shoulder inflammation) has appeared in one game in extended spring training and is working toward pitching in another one this week. "He has good days and other days where it's not pain, but just not coming out the way he wants it to so we take a step back and try to continue to rebuild arm strength," Huntington said.
» Right-hander Kevin Correia would have been the first Pirates pitcher since Jeff Suppan in 2003 to win four games in the first month of the season. Instead he fell to 3-2, with both losses coming at home. Still, Correia felt it was just a matter of a few bad pitches that led to the trouble yesterday. "I was keeping the ball on the ground and kind of doing what I wanted to," he said. "I felt pretty good out there. One bad pitch, and my two starts I haven't won, that's kind of what's happened. I've pitched, I thought, pretty well and got myself in a position I probably shouldn't have been in, but I had the chance to get out of it and a couple bad pitches at the wrong time."Additional Information:
Pirates game day
vs. Nationals, 7:05 p.m.
TV: Root Sports
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), XM 186
Nationals starter: RHP John Lannan (2-1, 3.43)
Pirates starter: LHP Paul Maholm (0-3, 4.30)
Next: vs. Giants, 7:05 p.m. Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates sign Harrison to new deal that could stretch to 6 seasons, $50.3M
- Pirates notebook: Kang debut must wait another game
- Bench player Lambo is finding his place in majors with Pirates
- Biertempfel: Reds’ Hamilton presents unique challenge to Pirates pitchers
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates drop opener against Reds on Frazier’s 8th-inning HR
- Pirates’ Harrison crosses another milestone off list