Wood debuts with Bucs, plays third
-- Infielder Brandon Wood, picked up off waivers Friday, made his Pirates debut last night playing third base. "It's a new adventure, new team, new clubhouse, everything's new, so I'm happy to just get out there and play," Wood said before the game. Manager Clint Hurdle's advice to Wood was to not go out of his way to make a good first impression, and to try to go out and play like he's in the backyard. "If I hit three home runs or have four strikeouts, it doesn't show my worth on the team," Wood said. "It's just one baseball game, and that's the way I have to treat it."
-- One reason for putting Wood in the game at third base instead of shortstop was Pedro Alvarez's .214 batting average against left-handers (3 for 14). "Pedro's showing some progress, but it hasn't been against left-handed pitching," Hurdle said. "There's still some room for improvement there."
-- First baseman Lyle Overbay, who started each of the Pirates' first 21 games, was given the night off, with Steve Pearce making the start at first. Hurdle said that next week he'll try to find a way to get Neil Walker and Jose Tabata days off as well. "That's what we're going to need to do to keep guys fresh, and I can't continually depend on rainouts," he said. "I don't think that's really (a day off). You show up to play and get rained out at 5 o'clock, it's different."
-- Jameson Taillon, the Pirates' top pick (second overall) in the draft last year, was in Charleston, W. Va., joining his future teammates with the Single-A Power, according to a report in the Charleston Daily Mail. Taillon has been in extended spring training in Bradenton, Fla.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall