Pirates claim Dodgers outfielder off waivers
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was mum Tuesday about how he will use outfielder Xavier Paul, who was claimed off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
"We'll let you know when he gets here," Hurdle said.
To make room on the 40-man roster, left-hander Scott Olsen was transferred from the 15- to the 60-day disabled list. Olsen has been out since early in spring training due to a strained hamstring.
Once Paul reports, the Pirates will have to clear space on the active roster, which could mean a return trip to Triple-A Indianapolis for Steve Peace, who's on his last option.
Paul, 26, has hit well in the minors but has a .233 batting average with no homers and 12 RBI in 62 games in the majors. This year, he went 3 for 11 in seven games before being designated for assignment.
Paul has good speed, something the Pirates lack on their bench. But he also has a low on-base percentage (.280) and strikes out a lot (33 in 146 at-bats).
As he decides how much and where to play Paul, Hurdle will rely on the opinion of Pirates scouts. Hurdle also made a call to a former Dodgers coach who worked three years with Paul.
"He gave me a pretty good rundown," Hurdle said. "You trust all that, and then, you get your own eyes on him. I think it's important that we get (Paul) involved (in games) sooner than later."
Since being hired in September 2007, general manager Neal Huntington has made 19 waiver claims. The most successful has been reliever Chris Resop, who has a 1.80 ERA and a .165 batting average against since joining the Pirates last August.
Many of the other pickups — Kevin Thompson, Ray Olmedo, Chris Jakubauskas, Ty Taubenheim, Brandon Jones, Hayden Penn — came and went without making much impact.Additional Information:
Players claimed off waivers by Pirates general manager Neal Huntington:
10/15/07: Kevin Thompson
10/26/07: Phil Dumatrait
1 1⁄20/07: Jimmy Barthmaier
12/03/07: Josh Wilson
12/03/07: Ty Taubenheim
2/01/08: Ray Olmedo
1⁄27/09: Virgil Vasquez
5⁄18/09: Steven Jackson
9/24/09: Anthony Claggett
1 1⁄20/09: Chris Jakubauskas
1⁄20/10: Brandon Jones
3/2 9⁄10: Hayden Penn
8/4/10: Chan Ho Park
8/4/10: Chris Resop
9/1 3⁄10: Chris Leroux
12/2 3⁄10: Aaron Thompson
3/1 8⁄11: Garrett Olson
4/2 2⁄11: Brandon Wood
4/2 6⁄11: Xavier Paul
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates ready to prove they have best outfield in baseball
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett