Paul adds speed to Pirates' bench
• The Pirates wanted to add speed to their bench and figured outfielder Xavier Paul, whom they claimed off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers, is an upgrade over Alex Presley, who's at Triple-A Indianapolis. "We're giving a player with some major league time and a longer Triple-A pedigree the first shot at it," manager Clint Hurdle said. "It'll probably heighten Alex's awareness that, 'I could be that guy. I need to keep doing what I'm doing.' "
• Utilityman John Bowker was designated for assignment to clear space on the roster for Paul. Bowker got caught in a logjam on the depth chart. "He was my third left fielder, my third right fielder, my third first baseman," Hurdle said.
• Paul, 26, broke into the majors as a bench player. "I played behind a lot of great players — Juan Pierre, Garret Anderson, Manny Ramirez, Casey Blake," Paul said. "A lot of times, you learn more sitting on the bench than you do out on the field. I picked those guys' brains a lot. Maybe I can bring a little positive attitude, baserunning, defense, hit a little bit. Whatever role they want me to play, that's what I'm here to do."
• The Dodgers' ownership situation seems chaotic from afar, but Paul said it is not affecting the players. "Being in that clubhouse, from a player's perspective, you'd never know that ownership stuff is going on," he said. "Of course, you hear about it all the time, but I don't think it's affecting anybody's play. They're just trying to win ballgames."
• To make space at Class-A West Virginia for right-hander Jameson Taillon, righty Brooks Pounders was transferred to extended spring training.Additional Information:
Pirates at Rockies
8:40 p.m. today, Coors Field, Denver
TV/radio: Root Sports/WPGB-FM (104.7), WCNS-AM (1480), WJPA-AM (1450), Pirates Radio Network, XM 184
Probable starters: Pirates RHP Kevin Correia (3-2, 3.48) vs. Rockies RHP Jhoulys Chacin (3-1, 2.67)
Next: 8:10 p.m. Saturday at Rockies
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Rossi: Revenge is best served now by Pirates
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system