Ohlendorf not pleased with progress
• Right-hander Ross Ohlendorf (right shoulder posterior strain) was not entirely pleased Friday after throwing two 20-pitch sessions of live batting practice. "I'm not quite ready to make a rehab start like I wanted to be at this point," Ohlendorf said. The problem is a lack of endurance and arm strength. Ohlendorf's first set of pitches went fine, but pitching coach Ray Searage noticed Ohlendorf faded in the second set. "We're not there yet," Searage said. "The delivery is good; I like what I see there. I see consistency of arm slot and the head staying on target. But his strength is not consistent. That's normal." Ohlendorf will throw a bullpen session Sunday, then be re-evaluated. Because he'll need at least a couple of rehab starts, Ohlendorf might not rejoin the Pirates until June.
• Third baseman Pedro Alvarez (sore right quadriceps) did not play last night against Houston, but he did take pregame batting practice. "Hitting is no problem," he said. "It's just running. I'm still a little tight, but it feels better." Neither Alvarez nor manager Clint Hurdle would speculate on when Alvarez would be back in action.
• Outfielder Jose Tabata returned to the lineup after sitting out four games with a tender hamstring.
• Brandon Wood and Ronny Cedeno fielded grounders at second base during pregame workouts. Hurdle is trying to determine who would be the better option as a backup to Neil Walker. "Both of them have adapted over there very well," Hurdle said.
• With lefty Wandy Rodriguez getting the ball for Houston, Chris Snyder started just his 18th game as the No. 5 guy in the batting order. Snyder had reached base safely in each of his previous 13 starts this year. "I'm pushing the envelope probably as hard as I can," Hurdle said. "I (originally) had him sixth, but he's provided some pretty good at-bats against left-handers."Additional Information:
Today: Pirates vs. Astros, 7:05 p.m.
TV: Root Sports
Radio: WPGB-FM (104.7), XM 187
Probable starters: RHP Bud Norris (2-1, 3.03) for Houston. RHP Charlie Morton (3-1, 3.52) for the Pirates.
Tomorrow: vs. Astros, 1:35 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall