Sanchez benched for Twitter comments
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pirates prospect Tony Sanchez, the starting catcher at Double-A Altoona, was benched -- but not suspended — for three games for making inappropriate comments on Twitter, a social networking website, a team source confirmed Thursday.
Sanchez sat out Altoona's past three games, including a doubleheader yesterday against Akron.
The Eastern League and Major League Baseball have been in discussions about Sanchez, but neither is expected to impose further punishment. A final decision is expected today.
"We have not yet imposed a penalty," Eastern League president Joe McEacharn said. "The matter is under review, in consultation with the commissioner's office in New York. It's a jurisdictional issue. There was only one crime here, so we want to make sure there is only one penalty issued."
McEacharn has spoken with Pirates officials about the situation. He declined to say whether a team-issued suspension would affect a penalty levied on Sanchez by MLB or the Eastern League.
Sanchez, 22, was a first-round draft pick in 2009 and is in his first season with Altoona. He is the top-rated non-pitcher in the Pirates' minor league system.
Sanchez irked EL officials with a tweet that implied Altoona had lost a recent game against Harrisburg because of a blown call by an umpire. Sanchez on Monday issued an "Only in Altoona" tweet that included a photo of a woman in a thong and a child throwing firecrackers at a gas station.
Sanchez closed his Twitter account Tuesday. Pirates president Frank Coonelly said the team did not force Sanchez to shutter the account, though they did, at the urging of MLB, twice speak to him about proper professional behavior.
Sanchez called ending his Twitter account "a personal decision."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates beat Braves, clinch 2nd straight trip to postseason
- Pirates defeat Braves to clinch NL playoff spot for 2nd consecutive season
- Pirates notebook: Pirates prepare for playoff berth celebration
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers