Owner 'extremely pleased' with Bucs' progress
Pirates owner Bob Nutting on Thursday was delighted to speak at groundbreaking ceremonies for Sean Casey's Miracle Field project in Upper St. Clair, which is partly funded by Pirates Charities.
Buoyed by Wednesday night's extra-inning win over Arizona that evened his club's record at 30-30, Nutting was equally happy to cite the improvement so far from last season's 105-loss disaster.
"Better talent, better pitching and better leadership and support," he said, naming new manager Clint Hurdle in particular. "I'm obviously extremely pleased with the progress we've made. Tremendous improvement from last year. I'm very pleased where we are. And, I really believe that we're beginning to see the impact of the changes we've made in the organization over the last 3 1⁄2 years, and I really believe we're just getting started."
Nutting became the club's principal owner in 2007, assembling a new management team and making wholesale changes to the organization's infrastructure.
"Our goal has not been and will not be to get to .500," he said. "It's a critical milestone, it's an exciting milestone, but we're not going to stop when we cross over .500. We're building an organization to win a championship. ... We have a lot of work left to do to build a championship organization, and that's what we're focused on."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer reported wounded in New Florence; suspect at-large
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- WPIAL Class AAA notes: Title games draw 16,500 to Heinz Field
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Thomas Jefferson captures 6th WPIAL title
- Robert Morris defeats Mississippi Valley State for 1st victory of season
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman