Pirates shuffle lineup ahead of Boston series
TribLIVE Sports Videos
By sending infielder Josh Harrison to Triple-A Indianapolis on Thursday, the Pirates began a flurry of roster moves that will continue into next week.
Infielder Chase d'Arnaud will be called up from Indianapolis and will be in uniform for Friday night's game against the Boston Red Sox at PNC Park.
"These moves are the first in a series of probable moves to come in the next week to 10 days," general manager Neal Huntington said. "Josh did a solid job, and we expect he will help us at the major league level again this season."
Huntington declined to comment on what specific moves will follow. But an industry source confirmed the Pirates will call up outfielder Alex Presley and pitcher Brad Lincoln.
Presley will be promoted Tuesday, when the Pirates begin an interleague series in Toronto against the Blue Jays. To make room, infielder Pedro Ciriaco will be sent back to Indy.
Pitcher Brad Lincoln will be called up July 2 to make a spot start in the second game of a doubleheader against the Washington Nationals. Either d'Arnaud or a reliever will be sent down to clear roster space.
On July 3, Josh Harrison will be eligible for a recall to the Pirates, and he will rejoin the team at that point with Lincoln going back to Indy.
In a way, being the first one sent to Indy is a good sign for Harrison. By going down ahead Ciriaco, Harrison can return to the majors sooner.
It's a clear indication that Harrison fits better in the Pirates' plans this season than Ciriaco, who's gotten just six at-bats this year.
D'Arnaud, a fourth-round draft pick in 2008, should be an able short-term fill-in. He plays several positions and is batting .280 with four home runs at Indy.
"Chase has played very well at Indianapolis," Huntington said. "He has a chance to give us a boost while gaining valuable experience at the major league level."
Manager Clint Hurdle often has indicated he would like to have Presley, who's hitting .330 with eight homers at Indy, available for an interleague series when the designated hitter is used.
The Pirates considered bringing up Presley last weekend for the series against Cleveland but ultimately decided against it. The Indians swept the three-game set.
Note: Outfielder Starling Marte and d'Arnaud were named to the All-Star Futures Game rosters. Marte, who's hitting .348 with four homers, 24 RBI and 15 stolen bases for Double-A Altoona, will play for the World Team. D'Arnaud was chosen for the U.S. Team but won't play if he's still in the majors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Decisions backfire in Steelers’ loss in Seattle
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Marshall’s Fluhme Glam Bar hopes to take beauty concept nationwide
- French and Indian War re-enactor Wilson commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Woman found in Carrick died of multiple wounds, autopsy results say
- Auction watch: High-quality artwork highlights Dec. 5 sale in Regent Square
- 24,000 hours of volunteer service, 112 debutantes add up to Pittsburgh’s 2015 Medallion Ball
- Baldwin Santa gets the reality-show treatment
- North Allegheny 7th best school in national ranking, moves up 2 spots
- Sale of doll clothes to benefit Harrison library