Alex Presley on his way in wake of injury to Jose Tabata
An injury to Pirates left fielder Jose Tabata should translate into a few outfield starts for Alex Presley, once he's called up from the minors.
Tabata was injured Sunday in a 4-2 loss to the Boston Red Sox. While Tabata was still lying on the field, outfielder Presley was taken out of Triple-A Indianapolis' lineup as a precaution.
Although he left the field on a cart, Tabata's injury does not appear to be serious and he might be able to return to action later this week.
Before the game, the Pirates had already decided to promote Presley on Tuesday for the start of a three-game, interleague series in Toronto.
After being among the early cuts in spring training, Presley has responded with a torrid first half at Triple-A Indianapolis. He hit .336 with eight homers and 36 RBI.
"Alex continues to understand what his strengths are in the batter's box, on the bases, and defensively," general manager Neal Huntington said. "He's had a tremendous first half at Triple-A and has forced his way up here. He's certainly earned every opportunity he's going to get up here."
Tabata injured his left quadriceps while running out a bunt single in the first inning. He limped a few steps past the bag, then collapsed.
After being examined briefly by head athletic trainer Brad Henderson, Tabata was taken off the field on a motorized cart.
Tabata will be re-examined today to determine the severity of the injury. After yesterday's game, he walked out of the clubhouse with a limp.
Third baseman Pedro Alvarez has been out since May 19 because of a strained right quad. However, Alvarez's recovery has been slowed by a setback with his leg two weeks ago and a sore neck over the past few days.
Pirates vs. Red Sox June 26, 2011
Boston defeats the Pirates, 4-2, at PNC Park. Left fielder Jose Tabata is injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country