Pirates could have a new look this weekend
The Pirates could have one to four "new" players in their clubhouse Friday.
Pedro Ciriaco was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis, a sign shortstop Ronny Cedeno (concussion) is ready to come off the disabled list.
When reliever Jason Grilli's contract is finalized, Chris Leroux likely will return to Indy.
Catcher Jason Jaramillo was activated from the disabled list by Indy, and he probably will replace Eric Fryer on the Pirates' active roster.
Steve Pearce also is about ready to come off the DL, but it's not immediately clear how the Pirates will open a roster spot for him.
» The Pirates-Milwaukee Brewers game Aug. 13 at Miller Park has been selected as a Fox Saturday Game of the Week broadcast. It will be the second time in three weeks the Pirates appear on national TV. ESPN will broadcast their game Monday night in Atlanta. The Pirates last played in a nationally televised game June 8, 2010, on MLB Network, when Washington Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg made his major-league debut.
» Outfielder Jose Tabata was removed from a rehab game Wednesday with High-A Bradenton due to more tightness in his left quad. The same injury caused Tabata to miss three games during the weekend.
» Wyatt Toregas was sent down to Double-A Altoona to clear a spot for Jaramillo at Indy.
» Neil Walker played Wednesday despite sporting a good-sized bump on his right shin, the result of fouling off a ball Tuesday. He went 0 for 3 yesterday, which snapped his team-best, 13-game hitting streak. In the sixth inning, Walker made a diving stop of Ramon Hernandez's grounder, sprawled to second base to force out Jay Bruce, then threw from his knees over Bruce to turn the double play. Hernandez slammed his helmet in frustration. Manager Clint Hurdle's reaction: "Wow!"
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Alvarez held out of starting lineup for 3rd straight game
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates pitching guru Benedict created a ‘Vanimal’ in Worley
- Biertempfel: Locke looks toward postseason run