National TV has Bucs tinkering with schedule
The Aug. 20 game against the Cincinnati Reds at PNC Park will start at 4:11 p.m. to accommodate a Fox Saturday Game of the Week telecast.
The post-game fireworks scheduled that night have been cancelled. It will be the first time Fox has broadcast a game from PNC Park since Aug. 28, 2004.
The Pirates-Brewers game Aug. 13 in Milwaukee also will be televised by Fox.
Because of the two national broadcasts, Root Sports will add to its schedule the games Sept. 15 at the Dodgers and Sept. 20 against the Diamondbacks.
» Steve Pearce and Ronny Cedeno were activated Friday off the disabled list, replacing Pedro Ciriaco and Josh Harrison, who were optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis the day before.
"I'm excited, I'm anxious ... everything," Pearce said. "I wanted to get back up here with these guys. We were on the rise before I left, and they've done an awesome job."
» Reliever Chris Leroux was sent to Indy to open a roster spot for Jason Grilli, who will fill a setup role in the bullpen.
"His job is the same as everyone else's: Get the ball to (closer) Joel (Hanrahan)," manager Clint Hurdle said.
That's fine with Grilli.
"I've always taken the (approach) that whenever they give me the ball, I'll be glad to do that," Grilli said. "It doesn't matter what inning."
» Now that Joe Beimel is healthy, rookie left-hander Tony Watson will shift to more of a long-relief role.
» According to STATS, Hanrahan, Daniel McCutchen and Chris Resop combined for a 1.32 ERA over their past 40 innings of work. In that stretch, the Pirates went 18-6 and moved into first place in the NL Central.
"There's a lot of unsung heroes out there in our bullpen," Hurdle said.
» Hurdle was named to the Florida State League Hall of Fame. Also tabbed for the Nov. 2 induction are Derek Jeter, Jose Rijo, Gene Nelson, Ivan Rodriguez and John Ivory Smith.
» First baseman Jeff Clement has begun a rehab assignment with Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League. Clement had microfracture knee surgery in September 2010.
Pirates vs. Cardinals July 22, 2011
St. Louis defeats the Pirates, 6-4, Friday July 22, 2011 at PNC Park.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Pirates notebook: Cardinals catcher Molina won’t be factor in big series
- Rossi: The case for the Pirates is their ace