Pirates activate Ohlendorf, send him to Indy
MILWAUKEE — Pirates right-hander Ross Ohlendorf on Friday was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis.
"Would it make sense for us to plug him (into the Pirates' rotation) and drop one of the guys who's there• That doesn't make sense to me right now," manager Clint Hurdle said. "Can he replace somebody in the bullpen• That's an option."
Ohlendorf is a candidate to make a spot start in the Aug. 22 doubleheader against the Brewers at PNC Park.
To make room for Ohlendorf on the 40-man roster, the team designated right-hander Tim Wood for assignment. Wood, 28, signed March 31 after being cut by the Nationals. In 13 games with the Pirates, he went 0-3 with a 5.63 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP.
» Outfielder Jose Tabata (quad) might be recalled Monday from his injury rehab assignment with Indy. Management wants to be sure Tabata isn't fearful of another setback and that he's playing full speed at Indy.
"We've encouraged him to see if he can stretch it out a little more this weekend, then we'll re-evaluate after Sunday's game," Hurdle said.
» Chase d'Arnaud (broken finger) and Alex Presley (nerve problem in hand) moved to Indy for the next phase of their rehab stints.
» Pedro Alvarez is batting .171 against left-handers and didn't start either of the Pirates' past two games against a lefty. But Hurdle said he won't always bench Alvarez when a lefty is pitching.
"It's a feel thing," Hurdle said. "I'm always open-minded. Pedro started against them earlier (this season). We'll play it one left-hander at a time."
» Derrek Lee, who was hit by a pitch Aug. 3, sat out Friday night's game with continuing hand pain. Lee has missed two of the past three games. An MRI exam Aug. 5 showed no structural damage.
» The team re-signed right-hander Mike Crotta to a minor-league contract.
» State College outfielder Wes Freeman was added to the NL roster for the short-season Single-A New York-Penn League all-star game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Statistically speaking: Pirates could punish Cubs’ fly-ball pitchers
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers