Pirates' negotiations with McCutchen stall
• Despite their reluctance to negotiate during the season, the Pirates have also talked to Neil Walker and Andrew McCutchen about contract extensions. While Walker's deal is reportedly close, talks with McCutchen have stalled, and general manager Neal Huntington did not paint an optimistic picture Sunday when asked about the center fielder.
"There will be situations in the past, present and future when we're not able to find common ground," Huntington said. "Andrew McCutchen certainly is a great young payer in the making and we hope to keep him here many, many years into the future, but if we're not able to find common ground, we still have many years left with Andrew. We still have (contract years) three, four and five to go, so we're a long ways away from having to make any decision."
• Left-hander Paul Maholm, who went on the disabled list Friday with a left shoulder strain, will see Dr. James Andrews today for a second opinion.
• The Pirates are in an interesting position entering today's series-opening doubleheader against the Milwaukee Brewers, against whom they've lost 12 straight games. Brad Lincoln is starting the second game, and Hurdle doesn't like to use his relievers more than three days in a row, which would make both Joel Hanrahan and Jose Veras unavailable after pitching in all three games against the Reds.
• The Pirates signed right-hander Aaron Heilman to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Indianapolis. Heilman was released by the Phillies on Saturday.
• Evan Meek pitched a scoreless inning with High-A Bradenton yesterday, giving up one hit and striking out one.
• Pittsburgh native Billy Gardell, a comedian and star of the CBS sitcom "Mike & Molly," threw out the first pitch yesterday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Prospect Taillon to undergo season-ending hernia surgery
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Guerra finally reaches majors as Scahill goes on DL