Pirates send outfielder Ludwick to 15-day DL
The Pirates placed outfielder Ryan Ludwick on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Aug. 23, on Wednesday with mid-back muscle spasms.
Manager Clint Hurdle said Ludwick's back first locked up on him Tuesday and he was unavailable for that night's game. Then, with shortstop Pedro Ciriaco at the Pittsburgh airport ready to travel to rejoin Triple-A Indianapolis, Ludwick's back seized up on him again Wednesday morning. Ciriaco returned to the ballpark, and Ludwick had an MRI and was placed on the DL.
» There are about a dozen players in consideration for September call-ups, Hurdle said, and he'd like to keep the roster total to about 35. While he didn't want to get into a guessing game to identify candidates, Hurdle did say Indianapolis first baseman Matt Hague (.314, 12 homers, 70 RBI) is in the mix.
Hurdle also said Wednesday that both outfielder Alex Presley (left hand contusion) and infielder Chase d'Arnaud (fractured right pinkie) were probably ready to come off the disabled list and back from Triple-A, but that with the pitching upheaval of late, he hasn't had room for them on the roster.
» The Pirates were trailing the Brewers by six runs when Josh Harrison hit his first major-league home run in the fifth inning Tuesday night, so he didn't get to enjoy it as much as he would have under better circumstances. But the third baseman said watching the solo shot sail into left field was still exciting.
"Granted, in the situation we were down a lot, so I didn't get to enjoy it as much," Harrison said. "I was more focused on trying to make a comeback and scratch as many runs across as possible. But I had a pretty good feeling when I hit that one as far as it going out."
» Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder collected his National League-leading 100th RBI of the season Tuesday.
"It's tough sometimes because (opponents) walk him if they have the opportunity, but they've still got to pitch to him a lot and he's come through a lot," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
» Evan Meek (right shoulder tendinitis) was scheduled to pitch one inning with High-A Bradenton Wednesday night.
Pirates vs. Brewers August 24, 2011
The Pirates defeat the Milwaukee Brewers, 2-0, Wednesday August 24, 2011 at PNC Park.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett, Cervelli rekindle bond
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 18, 2015