Pirates OF Tabata dealing with wrist injury
HOUSTON — Pirates outfielder Jose Tabata did not start Tuesday because of soreness in his left wrist. It's something that started bothering him a week ago in the last game of the homestand against the Milwaukee Brewers and had been coming and going since then, manager Clint Hurdle said. It fired up again after Monday's game and was stiff Tuesday.
» The Pirates still haven't named a starter for Friday's game, but Aaron Thompson isn't an option. Despite a strong major-league debut last week, Tuesday was Thompson's day to pitch in Triple-A Indianapolis. Hurdle said that to keep him from that start would have meant eight days' rest, and it didn't make sense to back him up that far.
» Whomever the Pirates choose to pitch in replacement of Jeff Karstens on Friday, he will be summoned to the major leagues — along with one or two other players — Thursday for the first round of September call-ups. Others will come later, depending on when they are eligible and their value to their respective farm clubs.
» Hurdle said Derrek Lee (left wrist fracture) took more swings off the tee Tuesday and will do so again Wednesday.
"When we can go live, we'll go live," Hurdle said. "We would have loved to have him back yesterday."
» The Pirates granted reliever Joe Beimel his unconditional release Tuesday. Beimel, a left-hander whom the Pirates signed as a minor-league free agent Jan. 28, was designated for assignment Aug. 23.
» Robbie Grossman (outfielder, High-A Bradenton) and Brock Holt (infielder, Double-A Altoona) are the first two Pirates prospects to be named to the Arizona Fall League's Solar Sox team, with four pitchers and an infielder still to be determined.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray