Pirates OF Tabata dealing with wrist injury
HOUSTON — Pirates outfielder Jose Tabata did not start Tuesday because of soreness in his left wrist. It's something that started bothering him a week ago in the last game of the homestand against the Milwaukee Brewers and had been coming and going since then, manager Clint Hurdle said. It fired up again after Monday's game and was stiff Tuesday.
» The Pirates still haven't named a starter for Friday's game, but Aaron Thompson isn't an option. Despite a strong major-league debut last week, Tuesday was Thompson's day to pitch in Triple-A Indianapolis. Hurdle said that to keep him from that start would have meant eight days' rest, and it didn't make sense to back him up that far.
» Whomever the Pirates choose to pitch in replacement of Jeff Karstens on Friday, he will be summoned to the major leagues — along with one or two other players — Thursday for the first round of September call-ups. Others will come later, depending on when they are eligible and their value to their respective farm clubs.
» Hurdle said Derrek Lee (left wrist fracture) took more swings off the tee Tuesday and will do so again Wednesday.
"When we can go live, we'll go live," Hurdle said. "We would have loved to have him back yesterday."
» The Pirates granted reliever Joe Beimel his unconditional release Tuesday. Beimel, a left-hander whom the Pirates signed as a minor-league free agent Jan. 28, was designated for assignment Aug. 23.
» Robbie Grossman (outfielder, High-A Bradenton) and Brock Holt (infielder, Double-A Altoona) are the first two Pirates prospects to be named to the Arizona Fall League's Solar Sox team, with four pitchers and an infielder still to be determined.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant