Catcher Snyder hopes to stick with Pirates
PHOENIX — Catcher Chris Snyder said he "definitely" would like to return to the Pirates next year, but he wants the club to pick up his $6.75 million option.
"It's a team option, so the ball's in their court," Snyder said Tuesday. "Did I do anything production-wise to earn that option• I don't really think I did. But, it's there and it was negotiated."
Snyder, 30, got a three-year, $14.25 million contract extension in 2008, when he played for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He was traded to the Pirates on July 31, 2010.
"I know I struggled after the trade last year," Snyder said. "I don't think I've proven anything. But neither the fan base nor the organization has seen how I can play when I'm healthy."
Snyder, who's making $5.75 million this year, is recovering from back surgery and has not played since June 8. He played in 34 games and batted .271 with three homers and 17 RBI.
"I look back and it's one of those what-might've-been things," Snyder said. "This, by far, is one of the most frustrating seasons I've ever been in."
Snyder was given permission to leave the club last week and continue his rehab at his offseason home in Arizona. Before he left Pittsburgh, Snyder was able to hit off a tee and start a throwing program.
"Now, I can take it like a normal offseason," Snyder said. "I'll probably start throwing and hitting after Thanksgiving, like I normally would."
The Pirates are not expected to pick up Snyder's option.
Catcher Ryan Doumit's contract also is up this year and has two options worth a total of $15.5 million for 2012-13. The Pirates almost certainly will not trigger those options, but might open talks with Doumit for a new, lower-priced deal.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Marte’s glove, walk-off homer push Pirates past Giants
- Starkey: Pirates will need Cole train rolling
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Francisco Giants, Aug. 21, 2015
- Pirates’ offense in sync during 2nd-half surge