Presley, Pirates finally break out the offense in rout of Orioles
SARASOTA, Fla. — It took three spring training games for the Pirates to finally discover some winning offense.
The Pirates amassed 18 hits Monday night in a 10-3 rout of Baltimore Orioles. It was the Pirates' first win in Grapefruit League action.
Alex Presley went 3 for 3 with two RBI and two runs scored, and Starling Marte also had three hits and scored twice. Matt Hague launched a towering, two-run homer to left field.
Pirates starter Jo-Jo Reyes faced nine batters over 1.2 innings. The left-hander, who's bidding for a bullpen job as a non-roster invitee, gave up one unearned run and three hits, and struck out two.
"In the first inning, I threw too many 3-2 counts," Reyes said. "But the good thing about it was I was missing down. I wasn't erratic up."
With a runner at second and two outs in the first, right fielder Marte appeared to lose a flyball in the lights at Ed Smith Stadium. The ball fell for a two-base error and allowed Adam Jones to score from first base.
"It's (Marte's) first big league spring training, so he probably has those jitters," Reyes said with a laugh. "I remember having nerves in my first spring training. He's going to be a good ballplayer once he hones everything in."
Pedro Alvarez, Gorkys Hernandez and Michael McKenry each went 0 for 3. Alvarez struck out twice and grounded out in his final at-bat, making him hitless in five at-bats this spring.
"I wouldn't say he's uncomfortable (at the plate)," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "I'd say he's still looking for some timing off live pitching. We've got a few guys in that category. You just keep running them out there, giving them at-bats, and confidence will come."
The Pirates will field nearly all of their likely Opening Day lineup today against the New York Yankees at McKechnie Field. The only exceptions will be Nick Evans at third base and Brandon Boggs in left field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall