Pirates' Alvarez has minor knee injury
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pedro Alvarez, the Pirates' struggling third baseman, will miss the coming weekend of spring action because of inflammation in his left knee, the team reported.
Manager Clint Hurdle said Alvarez was hurt after running out a grounder and stepping on first base awkwardly.
Alvarez, coming off a .191 season, has gone 4 for 30 with 13 strikeouts this spring. The team said he was lifted from the game Thursday because of the knee trouble.
There is no indication that the injury is serious. General manager Neal Huntington called Alvarez "not completely healthy."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Rays 6
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts