Pirates' Alvarez has minor knee injury
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pedro Alvarez, the Pirates' struggling third baseman, will miss the coming weekend of spring action because of inflammation in his left knee, the team reported.
Manager Clint Hurdle said Alvarez was hurt after running out a grounder and stepping on first base awkwardly.
Alvarez, coming off a .191 season, has gone 4 for 30 with 13 strikeouts this spring. The team said he was lifted from the game Thursday because of the knee trouble.
There is no indication that the injury is serious. General manager Neal Huntington called Alvarez "not completely healthy."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 26, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield