Pirates' Alvarez has minor knee injury
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pedro Alvarez, the Pirates' struggling third baseman, will miss the coming weekend of spring action because of inflammation in his left knee, the team reported.
Manager Clint Hurdle said Alvarez was hurt after running out a grounder and stepping on first base awkwardly.
Alvarez, coming off a .191 season, has gone 4 for 30 with 13 strikeouts this spring. The team said he was lifted from the game Thursday because of the knee trouble.
There is no indication that the injury is serious. General manager Neal Huntington called Alvarez "not completely healthy."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Raptor system helps to protect Ringgold students
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- McKeesport Area first-grader brings toy gun on school bus
- Retired U.S. Marine general key speaker
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- New Kensington officials eager to demolish 3 fire-ravaged buildings
- Monessen pressed on sewage project
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal