Pirates adjusting to upcoming regular season
PHILADELPHIA — The game time temperature was 57 degrees and windy, making it the Pirates' first game start below 67 degrees all spring. But with the move north from Florida, center fielder Andrew McCutchen said, came the chance to feel more as if they were playing a regular-season game.
"This is going to help more, playing in a big-league stadium in Philly, playing a night game, the atmosphere, it's going to feel like a real game," said McCutchen, who hit a solo home run to tie Monday's game in the sixth inning. "This is as real as it can get right now, and we just have to take it as if it was."
> > The Pirates used a string of relievers to handle the pitching duties last night during a 4-3 loss, with each of the first six tackling just one inning. Tony Watson, Evan Meek and Juan Cruz each gave up one run and one hit. They were followed by Joel Hanrahan, Jason Grilli, Chris Resop and Ryan Beckman, who gave up the winning run in the seventh and stayed in to pitch the eighth. Beckman was the pitcher of record.
> > Phillies starter Joe Blanton retired the first 10 batters he faced before Jose Tabata singled with one out in the fourth inning. Neil Walker drove him in with a single, and Garrett Jones doubled to bring Walker home.
> > Manager Clint Hurdle would not say when final roster moves would be made.
"We're still having the conversation of what we want to do," he said. "That's the edge we're on right now. The one thing we're talking about is the days off early. Do you need eight• Do you want the extra bat or do you want the extra reliever?"
> > Hurdle is pleased with Evan Meek's progress.
"He showed up in very good shape, is very diligent with his work, has taken the ball and gotten a significant workload the last 10 days or so," he said. "I see (his velocity) just ticking up."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown
- Starting 9: Pirates help and the illusion of help
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest
- Pirates trade for familiar face in Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli cherishes All-Star gift from teammate Burnett
- Miscues, mental errors help Royals down pitcher Cole, Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Watson makes milestone appearance