Pirates look to bring Morton back to starting rotation
LOS ANGELES — Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said they're "leaning toward" bringing Charlie Morton back in the rotation after a successful rehab start with Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday.
Morton flew to Los Angeles on Tuesday morning and was in uniform when they announced the team during Dodger Stadium's Opening Day pregame ceremony.
"We'll see how he feels physically, but we're hoping to get our hands on him," Hurdle said before the series opener against the Dodgers. "His next start will be on the 14th, whether it's a start out there or start here. We've had internal conversations. I think he's in a good place."
Morton pitched 7.2 innings and gave up one run, walked one, struck out eight and gave up six hits.
> > Tuesday marked the 50th anniversary of Dodger Stadium opening, although the team was without legendary announcer Vin Scully. The 84-year-old Hall of Famer was at home with a cold, per doctor's orders.
> > Minor-league pitcher Mike Crotta underwent elbow surgery at the Andrews Institute in Pensacola, Fla., on Tuesday. Crotta tweeted that doctors removed a bone spur and inserted a screw, and said he is optimistic he'll be back by August.
> > Hurdle said the 50th anniversary of Dodger Stadium was going to be "cool for everybody here." He said he always thinks back to his first game at the ballpark as a player, up against Fernando Valenzuela and Dwight Gooden.
"It was electric," he said. "This place, for not being around a long time, has some great history and tradition."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench