Colon beats out Starks for starting right tack spot
Willie Colon has beaten out Max Starks at right tackle and will start there Sunday when the Steelers open the regular season against Cleveland, coach Mike Tomlin said.
All indications point to Allen Rossum supplanting Wille Reid as the team's kickoff and punt returner.
Tomlin did not commit to it at his weekly news conference today but he did say that the Steelers acquired Rossum from the Atlanta Falcons because he is a proven veteran while Reid is still a young player.
"His resume speaks for itself," Tomlin said of Rossum, the Falcons' all-time leader in kickoff and punt return yardage. "He's somebody to be reckoned with."
The Steelers, Tomlin said, are relatively healthy for the 1 p.m. game Sunday. Only linebacker Marquis Cooper, a special teams standout, has been ruled out for the game.
Cooper hurt his hamstring in the Steelers' final preseason game last Thursday.
Tomlin continued to lavish praise on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He said Roethlisberger spent time today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility getting ready for the Browns even though the players are off today.
"He's a franchise-caliber quarterback," Tomlin said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect at-large
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Volunteers get West Deer church’s train display back on track
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Saxonburg machine shop 3 generations strong