Colon beats out Starks for starting right tack spot
Willie Colon has beaten out Max Starks at right tackle and will start there Sunday when the Steelers open the regular season against Cleveland, coach Mike Tomlin said.
All indications point to Allen Rossum supplanting Wille Reid as the team's kickoff and punt returner.
Tomlin did not commit to it at his weekly news conference today but he did say that the Steelers acquired Rossum from the Atlanta Falcons because he is a proven veteran while Reid is still a young player.
"His resume speaks for itself," Tomlin said of Rossum, the Falcons' all-time leader in kickoff and punt return yardage. "He's somebody to be reckoned with."
The Steelers, Tomlin said, are relatively healthy for the 1 p.m. game Sunday. Only linebacker Marquis Cooper, a special teams standout, has been ruled out for the game.
Cooper hurt his hamstring in the Steelers' final preseason game last Thursday.
Tomlin continued to lavish praise on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He said Roethlisberger spent time today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility getting ready for the Browns even though the players are off today.
"He's a franchise-caliber quarterback," Tomlin said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- Quaker Valley grad chips in for Penn State baseball, named summer league all-star
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Plum High School teacher held for court on charges of intimidation