McCoy waiting for NFL report
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pitt football coach Dave Wannstedt said he had conversations with LeSean McCoy and star tailback's parents before and after the Sun Bowl, and Wannstedt believes the McCoy will bypass the NFL Draft and return for his junior season.
"He's excited to come back for another year," Wannstedt said. "LeSean believes, and his mom and dad believe, that he's excited about being here, and we all believe that this next year will do nothing but enhance his opportunities for the National Football League."
But McCoy's mother said Monday that the family is awaiting a report from the NFL Draft Advisory Board before making a final decision.
"LeSean does love being there. He loves Pitt and loves the football team. I know he wants to be there," Daphne McCoy said. "But he's 20. At 20 years old, you don't always know what's good for you.
"For right now, it looks like he'll be back next year. If the report tells us anything different, we'll see if he should come out at this time."
McCoy is eligible to declare hardship for the draft because he's three years removed from high school. He previously said he "definitely" plans to return.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- W.V. entrepreneurs offer hope as coal fades as economic engine
- Slain St. Clair officer walked into ‘worst nightmare’ for police
- Ex-recreation director settles age discrimination lawsuit against Pittsburgh
- Mentor takes young Brackenridge hunter under his wing
- 7 percent in Allegheny County allowed to carry concealed gun
- Field conditions could play factor for Clairton in PIAA quarterfinals
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- 2,200 union employees of ATI lose coverage
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates