Fleury, Penguins blank lowly Islanders
Forward Petr Sykora scored the game's lone goal to give the Penguins a 1-0 victory against the New York Islanders tonight at Mellon Arena.
The Penguins finally broke the scoreless tie with 2:28 remaining when Sykora scored his 23rd goal to help the Penguins defeat the Islanders — owners of the worst record in the NHL.
Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves.
The Penguins were without captain Sidney Crosby — tied for second among NHL scorers — who is day-to-day with a groin injury. Also, defenseman Ryan Whitney was not with the team as he returned to Boston so he could attend to family matters.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Anxiety pervades town built by Volkswagen during emissions-cheating scandal
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Cameron in throes of leave-the-EU movement in Britain
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Girl battling cancer scratches item off bucket list with PNC Park trip
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- More employers adopt generous leave policies
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.