Fleury, Penguins blank lowly Islanders
Forward Petr Sykora scored the game's lone goal to give the Penguins a 1-0 victory against the New York Islanders tonight at Mellon Arena.
The Penguins finally broke the scoreless tie with 2:28 remaining when Sykora scored his 23rd goal to help the Penguins defeat the Islanders — owners of the worst record in the NHL.
Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves.
The Penguins were without captain Sidney Crosby — tied for second among NHL scorers — who is day-to-day with a groin injury. Also, defenseman Ryan Whitney was not with the team as he returned to Boston so he could attend to family matters.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM Rutherford ‘wouldn’t make’ Despres trade today
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Man’s body found hours after disappearance on Youghiogheny River
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Judge lashes UPMC, Highmark in consent decree violation hearing
- Crews working to free worker trapped in trench collapse in Pittsburgh’s Lawrenceville neighborhood
- Penn Hills teenager charged in New Kensington shooting
- Moniteau defeats Karns City in District 9 softball championship game
- Westmoreland County Community College trustees approve $38M preliminary budget
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel