Fleury, Penguins blank lowly Islanders
Forward Petr Sykora scored the game's lone goal to give the Penguins a 1-0 victory against the New York Islanders tonight at Mellon Arena.
The Penguins finally broke the scoreless tie with 2:28 remaining when Sykora scored his 23rd goal to help the Penguins defeat the Islanders — owners of the worst record in the NHL.
Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves.
The Penguins were without captain Sidney Crosby — tied for second among NHL scorers — who is day-to-day with a groin injury. Also, defenseman Ryan Whitney was not with the team as he returned to Boston so he could attend to family matters.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Public station WQED cutting staff in face of financial woes
- Multisport athletes help Derry cross country find success
- $5M Penn Avenue reconstruction project is ‘killing everything’
- New Latrobe hockey coach likes direction of team
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- LNG exports get federal approval from Dominion’s Cove Point terminal
- I-79 line painting begins Thursday