Fleury, Penguins blank lowly Islanders
Forward Petr Sykora scored the game's lone goal to give the Penguins a 1-0 victory against the New York Islanders tonight at Mellon Arena.
The Penguins finally broke the scoreless tie with 2:28 remaining when Sykora scored his 23rd goal to help the Penguins defeat the Islanders — owners of the worst record in the NHL.
Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves.
The Penguins were without captain Sidney Crosby — tied for second among NHL scorers — who is day-to-day with a groin injury. Also, defenseman Ryan Whitney was not with the team as he returned to Boston so he could attend to family matters.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stop by Stanley’s Bar & Grill in Ford City for Thanksgiving dinner
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Clairton no longer distressed
- Ford City executive sessions called into question
- McKeesport Area could bring back Air Force Junior ROTC program
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- Robbery nets stint in prison for Marion Center man
- Terror threat doesn’t keep Pittsburgh International travelers down
- McKeesport budget smaller; no tax hike planned
- Elizabeth mayor hails police department’s role in ‘major’ heroin bust in Clairton
- Some ‘food for thought’