Pens trade defenseman Ryan Whitney to Anaheim
The Penguins have traded defenseman Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for winger Chris Kunitz and Chris Tangradi.
Whitney, 26, left the Penguins Wednesday to attend to a family emergency. He was in the second year of a six-year contract that totaled $24 million — a $4 million per year cap hit.
Kunitz, 29, is a 6-foot left-handed shot who has scored 81 goals in parts of four NHL seasons with Anaheim and Atlanta. He has 16 goals and 35 points in 62 games this season. He is signed through 2011-12 at a cap hit of $3.725 million.
Tangradi is a 20-year-old pound forward born in Philadelphia. Ther 6-3 left-handed shot was the 42nd player taken in the 2007 draft. He has 38 goals, 87 points and 57 penalty minutexs in 52 games with Belleville of the OHL.
The Penguins have placed forward Chris Minard on waivers to make room on the roster for Kunitz.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Stupid Steelers
- Steelers running backs Bell, Blount will face drug charges
- Chase suspect faces trial, other woes
- Monessen man faces another trial
- Area school districts set to begin new year
- It’s only exhibition, but these Steelers could solidify roster spots vs. Eagles
- Young man with a gift
- Lincoln amends its seismic testing laws
- Braves’ error, Sanchez’s sacrifice fly in 9th help Pirates snap long skid
- Lady Antebellum continues to push for that big sound
- West Deer supervisor accused of ethics violation