Safin says Agassi should give up titles
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Former No. 1-ranked Marat Safin believes that Andre Agassi should give his tennis titles back after confessing he tested positive for a banned substance from using crystal meth during his career and lied about it to the ATP.
"I'm not defending the ATP, but what he said put it in a delicate position," Safin said. "The ATP allowed him to win a lot of tournaments, a lot of money. It kept his secret. Why does he need to be so cruel with it?"
• His trainer says middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (35-1, 31 KOs) will defend his titles next month against Miguel Espino (20-2-1, 9 KOs), in Pavlik's first fight since February.
• Cristie Kerr shot 4-under 32 on the back nine to lead the LPGA team to a win in the Wendy's 3-Tour Challenge. It is the LPGA's fifth win in the event against the PGA Tour (seven wins) and Champions Tour (six).
• Rory McIlroy decided to join the PGA Tour next year with hopes of moving up in the world ranking.
• Azeri, the Horse of the Year in 2002, brought $2.25 million yesterday in the opening session of the Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale.
• All horses that ran in the Breeders' Cup have tested negative for illegal performance-enhancing drugs.
• Major League Soccer has named Seattle Sounders forward Fredy Montero the 2009 MLS Newcomer of the Year.
• The MLS-bound Vancouver Whitecaps and five other United Soccer Leagues First Division teams have formed a new professional league that will begin playing in April. The teams formed the new league because they were unhappy with how USL-1 is owned and structured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT puts 14 Alle-Kiski Valley bridges on list to be replaced
- Freeport dock bid exceeds resources
- Harrison OKs antenna zoning change
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Flag holders stolen off veterans’ graves in Lower Burrell cemetery
- Apollo-Ridge middle school library project gains STEAM
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Cloverleaf bridge work to resume after change
- Predictions are for lots of brilliant color this autumn
- Steelers film session: Old-fashioned power football produces victory
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves