Steelers OLB's mother arrested after brawl
The mother of Steelers linebacker James Harrison was arrested after a brawl erupted at a party for about 100 people she was hosting at the VFW hall in Akron, police said Friday.
Mildred J. Harrison, 62, of Akron, was given a summons for simple assault following the fight during Thursday night's game between the Steelers and the Cleveland Browns, Akron police said. Mildred Harrison, who was wearing a Steelers jersey when she arrived later at the police station, told officers she was assaulted during the "chaos" but was not involved in the fight.
A warrant was issued for her daughter, Shovonne C. Johnson-Roper, 39, of Akron, and a third person, charging them with felonious assault. Four people, including two who were hit in the head with beer bottles, were taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.
James Harrison is a graduate of Coventry High School in Akron.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Obama: Climate pact an ‘act of defiance’ after Paris attacks
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- University of Pittsburgh researchers revisit war of electric currents
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands