Details coming on Winter Classic
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• More details about the 2011 NHL Winter Classic at Heinz Field — including ticket information — will be unveiled at a news conference tentatively planned for the final week of this month. Commissioner Gary Bettman, Penguins majority co-owner Mario Lemieux, Steelers president Art Rooney II and Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis are expected to attend. Players from the Penguins and Capitals are slated to be present, including Sidney Crosby.
• Penguins president David Morehouse declined to comment on the contract status of general manager Ray Shero, whose deal expires in May. Morehouse said team policy is to not publicly discuss the contracts of front-office personnel. He did not deny that extending Shero's contract is a priority for ownership, but no deadline for a deal has been established.
• Morehouse reiterated that the Penguins will debut a new alternate uniform at the Winter Classic but said details would not be made public until the fall. This uniform will replace the baby-blue look the Penguins wore at the 2008 Classic and for a handful of games the past two seasons.
• Penguins executives remain tight-lipped concerning a proposed statue to honor Lemieux, the franchise's all-time scoring leader, longest-tenured captain and Hall of Famer. Outgoing chief executive officer Ken Sawyer said in 2007 that a Lemieux statue would be displayed at Consol Energy Center, but details since have been scarce.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- Man surrenders after standoff in Middle Hill
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Anti-drug agencies find key ally in battling overdoses: Addicts
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Outdoors notices: Nov. 30, 2015