Inside the Ropes: Leftwich rests, Ben gets reps
Ben Roethlisberger got his rest Saturday and Byron Leftwich on Monday.
Leftwich dressed, but did not participate in any drills yesterday in either the morning or afternoon practices. He had ice on his throwing shoulder for a period of time during the afternoon session.
"It's maintenance," Leftwich said. "I do it every day."
With Leftwich out, Roethlisberger stepped in to take the majority of the first-team snaps with Charlie Batch getting his first extensive action of camp, including some second-team reps.
Batch took 22 snaps combined in both practices in 11-on-11 drills. Before yesterday, Batch had five total.
"We wanted to start a rotation in terms of resting these guys," Mike Tomlin said.
Tomlin said he doesn't expect to give Dennis Dixon any time off with him being the youngest quarterback.
In 11-on-11 team drills this camp, Dixon leads the way with 156 snaps, followed by Roethlisberger with 146, Leftwich with 144 and Batch with 27.
» Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau returned to practice for the first time since Thursday. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Saturday night.
» First-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey got moved around a little by getting a snap with the first team at center then taking a number of reps as the second-team center. Pouncey has been almost exclusively taking snaps at left guard with the second team. He also has gotten some third-team snaps at center along with Kraig Urbik.
» The first fight of camp almost happened when Ziggy Hood and Doug Legursky got into a shoving match after running play concluded. It was broken up before anything significant occurred.
» Joe Burnett must really want to be a starter on special teams. During gunner drills, Burnett ran over a media member standing on the sidelines, knocking him to the ground on his way to cover the punt. The media representative was not injured on the play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Pitt’s Young taking a pass, improving his all-around game
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- At least 3 cops shot near Colo. Planned Parenthood clinic; gunman loose
- Coroner’s office responds to crash at pond in Beaver County
- Absenteeism high on first day back after Peters Township teacher strike
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Chief justice revokes Feudale’s senior judge status
- Indiana County school employee allegedly showed 2 students an inappropriate photo