Bennett: Wannstedt will coach bowl game
College Football Videos
Dave Wannstedt will coach Pitt in the BBVA Compass Bowl on Jan. 8 in Birmingham, Ala., said defensive coordinator Phil Bennett.
"He's just doing some details right now," Bennett told reporters in Birmingham at a bowl news conference. "The plan is he will coach the game, be down here and then go into his role in the administration."
Bennett, who represented Pitt at the media event, said it wasn't an easy decision for Wannstedt to agree to coach one more game.
"He looked at some things and just thought the opportunity was too good to pass up at this time," he said.
Pitt senior associate athletic director E.J. Borghetti, who accompanied Bennett to Birmingham, said after the news conference that Wannstedt has yet to inform university officials of his decision.
"The official declaration that he is going to coach the game has to come from Dave, and that hasn't happened yet," Borghetti said.
Wannstedt did not return numerous telephone messages seeking comment. Athletic director Steve Pederson was unavailable for comment.
Pitt announced Tuesday that Wannstedt was out as coach. Pederson said Wannstedt was given the option of coaching in the bowl game. He also was offered a position as special assistant to the athletic director, but he has not commented on whether he will accept the job.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Workforce to shrink as baby boomers retire, birth rates fall
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Man with Donora roots promoted to Air Force colonel
- Youngwood man’s crash knocks out power in Monessen
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Public will get glimpse of building
- ‘Brothers’ share fathers’ legacies
- Trial to begin Monday in Rostraver home invasion
- Aaron’s building review planned
- More Mon Valley communities add banners honoring veterans