Two Pitt guards, PSU senior earn AP All-America honors
Guards Ashton Gibbs and Brad Wanamaker of Pitt and Talor Battle of Penn State earned Associated Press All-America honorable mention recognition today, as the 2010-11 teams were announced.
Jimmer Fredette of BYU and Kemba Walker of Connecticut led the first-team AP All-America team.
Gibbs, a 6-foot-2 junior from Scotch Plains, N.J., averaged a team-best 16.8 points per game. He hit a Pitt single-season record 102 3-pointers while shooting 49 percent from behind the arc to earn first-team all-Big East honors.
Wanamaker, a 6-4 guard from Philadelphia, led the team in assists and steals and ranked second in scoring and rebounding as a second-team all-Big East selection for the Panthers (28-6).
Battle, a 6-0 senior from Albany, N.Y., averaged a team-best 20.2 points per game, as Penn State reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time in a decade.
A total of 60 players garnered AP All-American recognition with three five-man teams and 45 on honorable mention.
2010-11 Associated Press All-America
- Jimmer Fredette, BYU, 6-2, 195, senior
- Nolan Smith, Duke, 6-2, 185, senior
- Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, 6-9, 280, freshman
- Kemba Walker, Connecticut, 6-1, 172, junior
- JaJuan Johnson, Purdue, 6-10, 221, senior
- Marcus Morris, Kansas, 6-9, 235, junior
- Derrick Williams, Arizona, 6-8, 241, sophomore
- Ben Hansbrough, Notre Dame, 6-3, 203, senior
- Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin, 6-1, 195, junior
- Kawhi Leonard, San Diego State, 6-7, 225
- Jordan Hamilton, Texas, 6-7, 220, sophomore
- Kenneth Faried, Morehead State, 6-8, 228, senior
- Jacob Pullen, Kansas State, 6-0, 200, senior
- Tu Holloway, Xavier, 6-0, 185, junior
- Marshon Brooks, Providence, 6-5, 200, senior
- Harrison Barnes, North Carolina; Talor Battle, Penn State; Devon Beitzel, Northern Colorado; Keith Benson, Oakland; Solomon Bozeman, UALR.
- Alec Burks, Colorado; Gilberto Clavell, Sam Houston State; Norris Cole, Cleveland State; Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech; Austin Freeman, Georgetown.
- Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh; Andrew Goudelock, College of Charleston; Justin Greene, Kent State; Dwight Hardy, St. John's; John Holland, Boston U.
- Ken Horton, Central Connecticut State; Reggie Jackson, Boston College; Rick Jackson, Syracuse; Charles Jenkins, Hofstra; John Jenkins, Vanderbilt.
- Aaron Johnson, UAB; Terrence Jones, Kentucky; Trevele Jones, Texas Southern; Brandon Knight, Kentucky; Jon Leuer, Wisconsin.
- Mickey McConnell, Saint Mary's; E'Twaun Moore, Purdue; Markieff Morris, Kansas; Mike Muscala, Bucknell; Chandler Parsons, Florida.
- C.J. Reed, Bethune-Cookman; Ryan Rossiter, Siena; Jesse Sanders, Liberty; Kyle Singler, Duke; Mike Smith, East Tennessee State.
- Isaiah Thomas, Washington; Tristan Thompson, Texas; Nikola Vucevic, Southern California; Brad Wanamaker, Pittsburgh; Casper Ware, Long Beach State.
- Kyle Weems, Missouri State; Taj Wesley, Utah State; Jordan Williams, Maryland; Isiah Williams, Utah Valley; Keith Wright, Harvard.
Show commenting policy