Pirates send relief pitcher Moskos down to minor leagues
PHILADELPHIA — The Pirates optioned left-hander and former first-round pick Daniel Moskos to Triple-A Indianapolis on Tuesday, saying the decision was out of the reliever's control.
"Just the configuration of the bullpen as we start out, do we need another shorter-inning option guy; or do we need a guy that's capable of going some length; right, left, how does the bullpen all fit together," general manager Neil Huntington said. "That part was out of Daniel's control."
That didn't necessarily make Moskos feel better.
"The goal is to make the team. I didn't, so that's what it is," he said. "I feel ready. It's a matter of numbers. There are only so many spots, and we've got a number of guys who performed well and have history and experience. It's just a tough situation to deal with, but it is what it is."
Moskos was 0-1 with a 1.00 ERA in nine innings this spring.
> > James McDonald threw 54 pitches (34 strikes) in his final outing of spring training, going three innings with two hits, one run, one walk and three strikeouts in the final exhibition game of the season.
> > The Pirates' workout Wednesday is open to the public. The Highmark Legacy Square Gates in left field will open at 2:30 p.m., and the workout is from 3 to 5 p.m. Sections 1 to 138 will be open to watch batting and fielding practice. Some concession stands will be open.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life