Porter graces SI cover
"Most feared player in the NFL."
That's how Sports Illustrated describes Steelers linebacker Joey Porter, who graces the cover of its NFL preview issue, which hits newsstands today.
"It's always good when you make the front cover of Sports Illustrated," Porter said.
Michael Silver writes that Porter "may be the most fearsome outside linebacker since Lawrence Taylor" and quotes New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady as saying, "Joey is one of the most physically intimidating players you'll go up against. He talks the talk, but he walks it, too -- he's coming after you, hard, every single snap. Now that I've gotten to know him, he's like my favorite guy in the world, but on the field you know there's nothing he'd rather do than take the quarterback's head off."
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is quoted as saying, "Some guys in the NFL who talk like Joey are all talk -- but not Joey. Joey's got Ray Lewis energy for four quarters. It's not wasted energy. He hits you as hard in the fourth quarter as he did in the first, which tells you that he backs up everything he says."
Complete coverageClick here to buy the Joey Porter cover or other Sports Illustrated covers.
- NFL Stories
Top Sports Stories
NFL Game Stories
MLB | NHL
NASCAR | Tennis
News | Living
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Rossi: Time for Steelers to turn it on
- Rossi: Steelers starting on defense was a big mistake