Notebook: Steelers re-sign St. Pierre
Two days after releasing Brian St. Pierre, the Steelers re-signed the veteran No. 3 quarterback to the active roster. To make room for St. Pierre, the Steelers waived rookie cornerback Jovon Johnson, who took the quarterback's roster spot for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Steelers also made a roster move with their practice squad, cutting rookie running back Cedric Humes and re-signing second-year defensive end Shaun Nua. Humes was the Steelers' seventh-round pick in the 2006 draft.
Injuries and the progress he has made have translated into an expanded role for rookie first-round pick Santonio Holmes. He has been alternating with veteran Cedrick Wilson at split end and is also the Steelers' primary punt returner because of injuries to Willie Reid and Ricardo Colclough. Holmes justified his increased playing time Sunday, totaling 180 all-purpose yards.
The hair that flows freely from Troy Polamalu's helmet generated a lot of discussion in the wake of the Steelers' win over the Chiefs. Polamalu shrugged off the tackle made by Larry Johnson -- the Chiefs' running back dragged him down by the hair during an interception return -- as well as questions of whether he would cut his hair.
"I just need to use stronger conditioner," Polamalu said.
3 - Willie Parker's NFL rank in rushing touchdowns, with five.
8.7 - Yards per carry Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has averaged this season.
401 - Yards that Vick has rushed for this season.
- Scott Brown
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season