Steelers reach deal with No. 2 pick Woodley
The Steelers will have at least one of their prized linebacker prospects in camp on time.
The team and second-round draft pick LaMarr Woodley reached an agreement on a four-year contract Wednesday.
Woodley played defensive end for Michigan last season but will be converted to outside linebacker. Terms of the deal were not released.
The Steelers have come to terms with five of their eight draft choices, and they are close to an agreement with their third-round pick, Matt Spaeth. The tight end is expected to be in camp, which starts Monday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, on time.
The only other draft picks who have yet to come to terms with the Steelers are first-rounder Lawrence Timmons, an outside linebacker, and fifth-rounder William Gay, a cornerback.
Timmons' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the Steelers have exchanged contract proposals.
Timmons was the 15th overall pick of last April's draft.
Woodley had 12 sacks for Michigan last season and was a consensus first-team All-American as well as Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.
The 6-1, 266-pounder is expected to play left outside linebacker as well as special teams this season.
Woodley's agreement came a day after the Steelers came to terms with wide receiver Dallas Baker, a seventh-round draft pick.
The Steelers have already signed both fourth-round draft picks, punter Daniel Sepulveda and defensive lineman Ryan McBean, as well as fifth-round pick Cameron Stephenson, a guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Former Steelers kicker Reed doesn’t like new NFL PAT rule
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Steelers claim QB-turned-WR Gardner
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- NFL moves PAT back to 15-yard line
- Starkey: Clayton, Steelers and ‘Shouldergate’
- Former Steelers linebacker Robinson dies
- Former Seminole Darby’s stock rises as draft day dawns
- West Virginia WR White selected by Bears