Niners sign KR Rossum after unproductive season with Steelers
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Kick returner Allen Rossum signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Friday, joining his fifth NFL team.
Rossum, a 10-year veteran who also plays cornerback, is second in NFL history with 13,269 career return yards and 10,520 kickoff return yards. He ranks first among active players with 2,749 career punt return yards, and has seven career touchdowns, all on kick returns.
Rossum was released by Pittsburgh on Tuesday after a fairly unproductive season with the Steelers, but he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco in September. He's likely to handle kickoff and punt return duties with the 49ers, who probably won't re-sign punt returner Michael Lewis, a free agent.
Rossum made the Pro Bowl with Atlanta in 2004. He also has played for Philadelphia and Green Bay.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Tomlin: Steelers preparing to face both Browns QBs
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers’ Polamalu downplays emotional outburst