Niners sign KR Rossum after unproductive season with Steelers
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Kick returner Allen Rossum signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Friday, joining his fifth NFL team.
Rossum, a 10-year veteran who also plays cornerback, is second in NFL history with 13,269 career return yards and 10,520 kickoff return yards. He ranks first among active players with 2,749 career punt return yards, and has seven career touchdowns, all on kick returns.
Rossum was released by Pittsburgh on Tuesday after a fairly unproductive season with the Steelers, but he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco in September. He's likely to handle kickoff and punt return duties with the 49ers, who probably won't re-sign punt returner Michael Lewis, a free agent.
Rossum made the Pro Bowl with Atlanta in 2004. He also has played for Philadelphia and Green Bay.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans
- Steelers notebook: Haley sees role for Archer