Niners sign KR Rossum after unproductive season with Steelers
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Kick returner Allen Rossum signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Friday, joining his fifth NFL team.
Rossum, a 10-year veteran who also plays cornerback, is second in NFL history with 13,269 career return yards and 10,520 kickoff return yards. He ranks first among active players with 2,749 career punt return yards, and has seven career touchdowns, all on kick returns.
Rossum was released by Pittsburgh on Tuesday after a fairly unproductive season with the Steelers, but he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco in September. He's likely to handle kickoff and punt return duties with the 49ers, who probably won't re-sign punt returner Michael Lewis, a free agent.
Rossum made the Pro Bowl with Atlanta in 2004. He also has played for Philadelphia and Green Bay.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Steelers’ Mitchell banned from social media
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Rossi: Book on Steelers coach Tomlin is still open
- Workhorse role suits Steelers running back Bell
- Steelers notebook: Finally, the bye week is on tap
- Steelers rally past Titans for key win
- Steelers Film Session: Sticking with what works