Niners sign KR Rossum after unproductive season with Steelers
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Kick returner Allen Rossum signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Friday, joining his fifth NFL team.
Rossum, a 10-year veteran who also plays cornerback, is second in NFL history with 13,269 career return yards and 10,520 kickoff return yards. He ranks first among active players with 2,749 career punt return yards, and has seven career touchdowns, all on kick returns.
Rossum was released by Pittsburgh on Tuesday after a fairly unproductive season with the Steelers, but he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco in September. He's likely to handle kickoff and punt return duties with the 49ers, who probably won't re-sign punt returner Michael Lewis, a free agent.
Rossum made the Pro Bowl with Atlanta in 2004. He also has played for Philadelphia and Green Bay.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- Steelers wide receiver Brown getting accolades as one of NFL’s best
- Steelers notebook: Offensive lineman Adams returns to reserve role
- Greene expects Steelers jersey retirement ceremony to get emotional
- Roethlisberger’s performance arguably among NFL’s greatest
- Steelers look ahead vs. Baltimore Ravens: All John Harbaugh does is win
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers notebook: No reminders needed that Ravens are next foe
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots