Revealed: Steely McBeam actor arrested for DUI
Steely McBeam's reputation is now a bit tarnished. One of the men hired by the Steelers to play the mascot has been fired.
Kenneth Hahey, 24, of Mt. Washington was charged with drunken driving after he was stopped in the South Side in January, according to Pittsburgh municipal court records. His blood alcohol level was .166, according to a police affidavit.
Steelers spokesman David Lockett said Hahey has been "released from his duties."
Lockett said Steely McBeam will still be a part of the Steelers.
"We haven't had any discussion at all about changing that," he said. "He's still going to be out there in the community uninterrupted."
According to the criminal complaint, Hahey ran a red light while turning from Carson Street onto 10th Street about 1:45 a.m. Jan. 6. When an officer stopped Hahey, the officer detected a strong smell of alcohol and Hahey's speech was slurred and his eyes were glassy and bloodshot, the affidavit stated. Hahey failed roadside DUI tests. He was given three chances to pass the walk-and-turn test after he first complained that he was nervous and then said he wasn't on level ground.
Hahey was taken to the Allegheny County Jail because officers couldn't verify his address in order to proceed with a summons.
Hahey waived the charges to court Feb. 21, according to court records. He will be formally arraigned May 23.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans
- Steelers notebook: Haley sees role for Archer