Steelers meet with TE Brady
After spending the last couple of weeks meeting with NFL Draft prospects, the Steelers visited with a player that is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Free-agent tight end Kyle Brady, who has played 13 NFL seasons, met with Steelers coaches Tuesday at the team's South Side facility.
Brady, a former Penn State All-American, spent last season with the Patriots and was released by New England at the end of February.
A first-round pick by the New York Jets in 1995, Brady started nine games for the Patriots last season and caught nine passes for 70 yards and two touchdowns. Brady has 343 catches for 3,519 yards and 25 touchdowns with the Jets, Jaguars and Patriots.
Despite being 36 and not much of a downfield receiving threat, the 6-foot-6, 280-pound Brady is still considered a premier blocker.
The Steelers released veteran Jerame Tuman in February, leaving Heath Miller as the only tight end on the roster who has played more than one season in the NFL.
The Steelers are expected to meet with more college prospects this week as they wrap up preparations for the NFL Draft.
The draft will be held April 26-27 and it will be followed by a three-day minicamp.
The mandatory minicamp will be held May 2-4 at the Steelers' practice facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Steelers notebook: Chiefs pass rush to test Steelers
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Rossi: Wheaton a key piece for Steelers down the stretch
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL