Steelers' 'My Wish' segment to air on ESPN
Akeem Havens played video games with Ben Roethlisberger and scored a touchdown during practice as part of the day the 14-year-old Flowery Branch, Ga., resident spent with the Steelers last month.
ESPN will air highlights from Havens' day with the Steelers on its 11 a.m. SportsCenter broadcast Sunday as part of its "My Wish" series. Havens, who's a quadriplegic, had requested to play video games with Roethlisberger, his favorite athlete, through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
The Steelers went beyond that, making Havens a member of the team for a day -- club chairman Dan Rooney presented him with a No. 1 jersey during a press conference -- and having him watch practice and eat lunch with the players and coaches at the team's South Side facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell faces former team, hurts leg
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- Former longtime Steelers publicist Kiely dies
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Steelers’ Mitchell enduring growing pains
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle