Steelers' 'My Wish' segment to air on ESPN
Akeem Havens played video games with Ben Roethlisberger and scored a touchdown during practice as part of the day the 14-year-old Flowery Branch, Ga., resident spent with the Steelers last month.
ESPN will air highlights from Havens' day with the Steelers on its 11 a.m. SportsCenter broadcast Sunday as part of its "My Wish" series. Havens, who's a quadriplegic, had requested to play video games with Roethlisberger, his favorite athlete, through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
The Steelers went beyond that, making Havens a member of the team for a day -- club chairman Dan Rooney presented him with a No. 1 jersey during a press conference -- and having him watch practice and eat lunch with the players and coaches at the team's South Side facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Steelers kicker Reed doesn’t like new NFL PAT rule
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Steelers claim QB-turned-WR Gardner
- Steelers interested in playing internationally again
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- Steelers gamble Chickillo can make transition to outside linebacker
- Steelers sign first-round pick Dupree
- Steelers’ Bell seeking leniency from NFL
- Steelers sign 3rd-round choice Coates
- Former Steelers linebacker Robinson dies