Steelers' 'My Wish' segment to air on ESPN
Akeem Havens played video games with Ben Roethlisberger and scored a touchdown during practice as part of the day the 14-year-old Flowery Branch, Ga., resident spent with the Steelers last month.
ESPN will air highlights from Havens' day with the Steelers on its 11 a.m. SportsCenter broadcast Sunday as part of its "My Wish" series. Havens, who's a quadriplegic, had requested to play video games with Roethlisberger, his favorite athlete, through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
The Steelers went beyond that, making Havens a member of the team for a day -- club chairman Dan Rooney presented him with a No. 1 jersey during a press conference -- and having him watch practice and eat lunch with the players and coaches at the team's South Side facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stop neighbors from stealing your Internet
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Penn State reports $33M in additional Sandusky settlements
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Chief justice revokes Feudale’s senior judge status
- 5 injured in Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- 5 hospitalized when family’s SUV runs off Route 51 in Rostraver
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Pittsburgh police deliver 2,500 Thanksgiving meals through program
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Police arrest man in Homestead bank robbery